Microcontroller Introduction with Raspberry Pi Pico is for beginners interested in home automation, robots, or IoT (Internet of Things). Microcontrollers are the brains behind most electronic devices. They are everywhere; in your washing machines, cameras, security alarms, smart devices, traffic lights, and more. The Pi Pico is Rasberry Pi’s microcontroller development board that makes learning this technology accessible and affordable.
This three-hour training combines lectures and hands-on with a Pi Pico. Topics covered include:
- Basics of a microcontroller
- Capabilities and features of the Raspberry Pi Pico
- Ways to use a microcontroller in your home
- Basic electronic and physical computing concepts
- How to control the Pi Pico using Micropython
- How to write simple Micropython programs and install them on a Pi Pico
Students will use a Pi Pico to control LEDs and sensors using Micopython. Experience will include:
- Installing and getting familiar with the Thonny IDE
- Writing Micropython programs
- Wiring a breadboard to connect a Pi Pico to LEDs and sensors
- Setuping up Pi Pico to execute Mircopython
- Copying files and libraries Pi Pico
- Finding and using sample programs for online resources
Each student is provided a starter kit with a Raspberry Pi Pico, breadboard, wires, resistors, LEDs, and sensors. These kits are available to take home for a small fee (at cost).
Laptop with current version of it’s operating system. Internet access will be available via free wifi.
Upcoming Schedule and Locations
Date: March 18, 2023
Time: 2pm – 5pm
Location: NERD Summit, UMass Amherst
** SOLD OUT **
Date:April 1, 2023
Time: 9:30am – 12:30pm
Location: Roger’s Free Library, Bristol, RI
Limited to ten students.